CCR1

How does your product use or challenge conventions and how does it represent social groups or issues?

My magazine follows many of the same conventions that the other food magazines have. My magazine or any magazine uses conventions to persuade the customer into buying it.

Cover:
My cover states the most delicious and interesting things, and mentions the amount of recipes that there will be in the magazine. There are Buzzwords on the front cover that will tell the buyer some of the interesting articles that can be found in the magazine. They are free and exclusive and for my target audience and this is used well to attract them.The main image represents the idea of my magazine which is healthy eating. The picture is a low angle shot of produce. It is very vibrant and it is an image that would be appealing to the audience. My Masthead on the cover is very large and bold. On every magazine I have researched, they do this because the title is very important and it is done to catch the the attention of the audience. The color of the Masthead should match the style of the cover picture. I decided to use a bright yellow because it would stand out and it would contrast with the other bright colors on the cover page. It's all about the colors and sizes of any of the fonts and backgrounds in the magazine. My product does challenge conventions because I decided to use a background picture of produce instead of a fully prepared meal. I also put "Dill Salmon! Tasty & Fresh" in a text box so the words could be seen on the cover. Other magazines don't typically do this. Lastly, i outlined the buzzwords in black so they would stand out more on my page. Other food magazine usually don't need to do this and they use another color that is not white and can be read easily.

Contents:
My contents is a lot simpler than the usual food magazine table of contents; however, majority of the time my project followed many of the same conventions that the other food magazines had. My contents. Some similar conventions I followed on the contents page was to have some pictures of the recipes that the readers can make. This is supposed to show that meal look appetizing. I used three pictures and took different shots fro each picture. In food magazines, they usually just have close-ups of the meals, but I varied my types of pictures. One convention that is different is that on the magazines that I researched, they had lots of information and writing on the articles that can be found inside the magazine. I just simply put the name of the category and the page numbers that you can did them on. One last thing that I noticed was different is the color of the font. I sued blue and put the tile of each meal on the picture so it could stand out. Other magazines typically use black font and put the description near the picture.

Article:
The food magazines I researched didn't have very many ads or any for that matter. For mine magazine I used a lot of ads and put them in all kinds of places. I tried to maintain a similar pattern though and I tried placing most of them towards the middle. Having ads in a magazine helps companies because it draws attention of the customer. They want facts and information and they see these in the ads. For the recipes itself, they all should be simple recipes and have lots of color and pictures on the pages. For my article pages in the magazine instead of using the whole picture of the recipe as the background like many magazines did, I had a light blue background color and have several pictures of my mom preparing the meal and the finished outcome of it. Another thing that my magazine challenged was the writing of the recipes. My instructions were a lot simpler than all the magazines I did my research on.

My product represents social groups because it targets a certain audience. It can target cooks, mothers, etc. Since it is a healthy eating magazine it can target groups of people who just want to eat healthy or people who already eat healthy. It can also target any food lovers or people who just want to learn how to make some new recipes. Any age group could be willing to pick up this magazine. Typically people in 20's or older. Personally, I believe people who are looking to have a healthy diet and mothers would be the most represented group. Food magazines in general can represent certain groups of culture as well.  It can represent social issues as well. There are many people who are looking to lose weight. The typical fashion magazine can lead to body dissatisfaction or other health issues, depending on how it influences the reader. On the other hand, healthy food magazines can be helpful to the reader and provide them to a new start to a healthier journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Target Audience Research Magazine 3

Project Selection- Film